Hi Karl.

The tomcat service set's it's own JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME
environment variables.  Just a quick look in /etc/init.d/tomcat6 will
show that.

My installation of tomcat 6 on Ubuntu has webapps deployed to
/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps, not /usr/share/tomcat6/webapps.  The later
directory doesn't even exist.  Could you take a look at
/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps?  The ROOT webapp should be there.  Put your
webapp next to it and make sure it's readable by the tomcat6 user
account .. either by setting world readable or make sure tomcat6 is in
the group or owner permission fields.  Once all that is done, restart
tomcat6:

sudo service tomcat6 restart

--David