On 2 May 2011 23:43, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/11 7:07 PM, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
>> Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or
>> refer me to relevant documentation.I am Unable to understand what is
>> documented at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and
>> configure Tomcat in order to create a Java Servlet Development
>> Environment for me at my home machine
>
> What don't you understand?

I don't understand How to do the following
<Quote>
         Unix daemon

    Tomcat can be run as a daemon using the jsvc tool from the
commons-daemon project. Source tarballs for jsvc are included with the
Tomcat binaries, and need to be compiled. Building jsvc requires a C
ANSI compiler (such as GCC), GNU Autoconf, and a JDK.

    Before running the script, the JAVA_HOME environment variable
should be set to the base path of the JDK. Alternately, when calling
the ./configure script, the path of the JDK may be specified using the
--with-java parameter, such as ./configure --with-java=/usr/java.

    Using the following commands should result in a compiled jsvc
binary, located in the $CATALINA_HOME/bin folder. This assumes that
GNU TAR is used, and that CATALINA_HOME is an environment variable
pointing to the base path of the Tomcat installation.

    Please note that you should use the GNU make (gmake) instead of
the native BSD make on FreeBSD systems.

        cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin
        tar xvfz commons-deamon-native.tar.gz
        cd commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix
        ./configure
        make
        cp jsvc ../..
        cd ../..

    Tomcat can then be run as a daemon using the following commands.

        cd $CATALINA_HOME
        ./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp
./bin/bootstrap.jar \
            -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err \
            org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

    jsvc has other useful parameters, such as -user which causes it to
switch to another user after the daemon initialization is complete.
This allows, for example, running Tomcat as a non privileged user
while still being able to use privileged ports. jsvc --help will
return the full jsvc usage information. In particular, the -debug
option is useful to debug issues running jsvc.

    The file
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix/native/Tomcat5.sh
can be used as a template for starting Tomcat automatically at boot
time from /etc/init.d.

    Note that the Commons-Daemon JAR file must be on your runtime
classpath to run Tomcat in this manner. The Commons-Daemon JAR file is
in the Class-Path entry of the bootstrap.jar manifest, but if you get
a ClassNotFoundException or a NoClassDefFoundError for a
Commons-Daemon class, add the Commons-Daemon JAR to the -cp argument
when launching jsvc.

</Quote>