I've been running Tomcat since version 4. Today, running 7.0.12, I decided to define a non-standard context, and I can't get it to work after carefully following all the instructions in the documentation and doing what all my searching confirmed I should be doing.

My web app is deployed at $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/filePort. I've been reaching it at http://myHost/filePort. Now I want to have a context of /mbp/filePort, because I want the web app to run on three separate Tomcat instances behind an apache server, using mod_jk to route to each Tomcat based on the first part of the context path.

So I have the file $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/mbp#filePort.xml, and inside this file is the following XML

<Context >
</Context>

In server.xml I have Engine "Catalina" and Host "localhost" defined, with no Context defined. I have no Context defined anywhere else. The appBase for Host "localhost" is defined as "webapps".

However, the web app is still reachable at http://myHost/filePort and not at http://myHost/mbp/filePort. For the latter URL, Tomcat reports that the requested resource is not available.

Even though it's not recommended, I tried defining a Context element in server.xml, inside the Host element, with path="/mbp/filePort" and docBase="filePort" but I got the same result.

Presumably I'm missing something here, but I've done what the documentation says to do, and it doesn't work.

-Mark