On 16 June 2011 11:29, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:
> On 15/06/2011 21:00, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
>> Tomcat has many abilities to deploy applications at run time (war,
>> tree, context, you name it). However, when used in production, these
>> abilities are used cautiously, if they are used at all.
>>
>> In many scenarios, Tomcat just starts, spends its life, and stops,
>> with a defined set of webapps, and has no automatic deployment
>> capabilities configured in at all. But the builtin startup scripts,
>> and in fact, the Java code itself, lack at least two critical inputs
>> for such scenarios:
>>
>> * Bootstrap will return (and therefore the startup scripts too) before
>> webapps configured at startup time are deployed, and while
>> bootstrapping is fast, deploying applications at startup can be very
>> long;
>> * even with a hackish way (watch the log file to account for complete
>> server startup) in order to wait for webapps to be deployed, there is
>> no status about these deployments at all (has this and that webapp
>> been deployed successfully?).
>
> An application might report that it's started, even it hasn't finished
> initialising.
>

>> Proposal: implement a fullstart command to Bootstrap which:
>>
>> * does NOT return until ALL webapps configured at start time are
>> (attempted to be) deployed;
>> * exits with a positive error code representing the number of webapps
>> NOT correctly deployed (or 1 - I don't care as long as it's not 0, but
>> please not -1, think WIFSIGNALED()).
>
> 'fullstart' is an odd name, people might start using it thinking that
> 'start' did not fully start the server.
>
> Returning an exit code which describes the number of apps successfully
> started isn't much use unless you (or the init script) know the number
> of apps configured.

And it may cause problems on some OSes which don't use unix-style exit codes.
For example, OpenVMS uses the low order 3 bits of a process exit code
as a severity indicator, and odd is success, even is failure.
[IThe JVM automatically converts exit 0 to exit 1 to compensate, but
cannot deal with all exit codes].