Well, if it's the spec I guess there's no much to argue. Maybe turn it into
an option, but I already got the feeling of the community. I won't insist as
this is my specific requirement and may not be of use to a wide range of the
community.

Mark, there could be a MIM attack but that's yet another security issue. I
guess you are missing my point. The way it's being discussed (point all
security flaws), it's like we should also constraint the use of BASIC/DIGEST
auth to be used only with CONFIDENTIAL transport, enforce CLIENT-CERT, etc.
The point is not making the system all secure, is having the ability to
CHOOSE what to secure (which Servlet/JSP spec already allows, I'm bringing
to discussion just another degree).

Actually this MIM attack is introduced by the workaround, I agree it would
be better to specify the login page in the security constraints and that's
actually the reason for this email.