I think this would be probably difficult to Google and get answers, so I joined
the mailing list hoping I might get a straight answer...

If I develop a webapp that listens for TCP/UDP sockets, which machine is
actually listening?  Is the tomcat server listening (because the webapp is
running on that tomcat) or is the client listening (because he is running the
webapp on the tomcat server)!

My goal is to have:
  single UDP listening at tomcat server for packets, and
  multicast UDP listening at the clients that is getting resended off the
single
above UDP port from the webapp tomcat server

This will eventually become a CRM and this mental block or potential problem
may
need me to re-evaluate how the tool is made.

 If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.