Hi Christopher, all

'machine' was meant to indicate one of two choices, the computer that is
running
the tomcat server, or the computer who is the client in a client-server
relationship.  I don't know the intricities of webapps yet in how they run.
This thread was just trying to understand if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Your second paragraph is better phrased.  which computer/'machine' is doing the
binding?  Writing a standalone Java desktop app is most definately going to
bind
to it's own machine.  I don't need to delegate anything to Tomcat itself, I
need
to know if I run a webapp and it binds and listens to a socket, which machine
does it bind on?

Lastly, your statement about making it a webapp if http is not involved is
because to centrally deploy an application is often served off http; I wanted
get into Java/webapps so I elected this route.  If they are standalone
protocols
(and they will be) to communicate between many clients to one (or a farm) of
servers, why can't I launch it from http?

 If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.