2011/7/11 PJ Delsh <pjdelsh...@hotmail.com>:

> Thank you Konstantin and Chris.
>
> I have setup Apache 2.2.19 through mod_jk 1.2.21
> To enable compression on the SSL traffic, Apache and Tomcat are setup in a
> reverse proxy.
>
> 1- Should I take the thread dumps now, or when Tomcat is in the
> 'non-responding' state?

When it is in non-responding state.
Is there anything in the Apache HTTPD logs as well?

Regarding your configuration:
- What connector implementation you are using? (That will be in the
logs when Tomcat starts). Do you use Tomcat-Native aka APR
(bin/tcnative-1.dll) ?

- If you have an HTTP connector besides AJP one, does Tomcat responds
if you try to connect to it?

> 2- Is it a good idea to make the jump from 6.0.32 to 7.0.16?  I know our app
> works in 7.

That is up to you to decide. The more people use Tomcat 7, the merrier it is.

Tomcat 7 releases come more frequently (once a month),  and changes
between releases tend to be more risky, but it has better testsuite
than Tomcat 6.

There was some connector refactoring recently in Tomcat 7, to reduce
duplicate code and simplify further development and maintenance. Next
release will be 7.0.19.

Regarding your issue, I do not think that the upgrade will change
anything in diagnosing the issue.

There should be other reasons for upgrading, like parallel deployment,
or using Sevlet 3.0 features in applications that you will deploy on
the same server later.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Parallel_deployment

> 3- If I was to hire a consultant to look into this, can you recommend one?

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/SupportAndTraining

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko