David Brown wrote:
Hello, I have found a situation that kills tc on startup within about 3
seconds on a 64-bit cloud running Ubuntu server. localhost resolves
correctly via dig but if we ping localhost it resolves to localhost.com.

Sorry, but this sounds like hogwash to me.
Where do you do the "dig", and where do you do the "ping" ?
Can you paste the output of both here ?

What does the local /etc/hosts file have to say about "localhost" ?
Can you also paste that here ?

this in my estimation is causing tc to bail. the tc 7 installed is 64
with a sun-oracle 64 bit jdk all fresh out-of-the-box with no config or
changes. This is a vulnerability in my estimation unless somebody can
prove different.

That is a very bold statement, which seems made without turning one's tongue into one's mouth 7 times before.. (as my old nanny would have said)