From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:33 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 7/16/2011 12:50 AM, Mark Eggers wrote:
>> I've been successful in the past in getting permission to build
>> critical components locally. I've also been in environments where
>> this was strictly forbidden, even at the expense of not meeting
>> business requirements and/or exposing the infrastructure to known
>> security risks. Meeting requirements is preferred (in my book).
>>
>> It also appears that more and more admins are uncomfortable with
>> building, installing, and then managing systems with locally
>> installed software. This goes back to the challenge that the
>> original poster had. Why an admin would balk at learning how to do
>> this is another question . . .
>
> Fortunately for me, I'm the admin *and* I get to make these kinds of
> decisions.
>
> I just don't feel like keeping MySQL up-to-date myself. :)

A reason why admins "balk" may be because they are asked to take care of more
and more
systems (due to virtualisation e.g.), and can no longer afford to spend the
time to do that.

Anyway, whatever their reasons, a number of admins will not do it, and the
practical
consequence in this case will be a decrease of the usage of mod_jk.

The basic point is : mod_jk is not included in the RedHat standard
Apache/Tomcat packages.
But maybe this is just an oversight of RedHat, and maybe with a little nudge,
they may be
persuaded to include it again.
Does anyone know how one would go about trying to nudge them in this direction ?

Alternatively, what would it take for mod_jk to be (maybe again) part of the
standard
Apache httpd distribution ? (so that these "packagers" would include it in the
next Apache
httpd packaged version without even having to think about it).