> org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException:
> Invalid byte tag in constant pool: 60

The above message is created by
o.a.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.Constant#readConstant(...).  There is a
switch() and default: label results in this exception being thrown.
Expected values there are from 1 to 12. Your 60 is far outside the
range.

2011/7/21 Matthew Tyson <matthewcarlty...@gmail.com>:
>> 3. Maybe if you enable debug logging in "org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel"
>> you will able to provide some context where the issue happens?
>
> Did that - its actually how I got the name of the files failing.

I hoped to see some information about what class files in those jars
BCEL tries to scan when it fails.

Call hierarchy is
bcel.classfile.Constant#readConstant(...)
<- bcel.classfile.ConstantPool#ConstantPool(stream)
<- bcel.classfile.ClassParser#readConstantPool()
<- bcel.classfile.parse()
<- o.a.catalina.startup.ContextConfig#processAnnotationsStream(stream, webxml)

Unfortunately there is no debug printing in ContextConfig, and
ClassParser operates on a stream and so does not know its context.

Maybe you can run your copy of Tomcat with debugger, using remote debugging?
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing#Debugging

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko