> > In tomcat 6 there is no difference between these two links
> > http://drifted.in/encoding/encoding.svg
> > http://drifted.in/encoding/faces/encoding.svg
> >
> > but in Tomcat 7 I am getting different results. The first is Ok while
> > the second, processed by faces servlet, breaks the encoding.

> You have to examine what is actually is being sent to the browser.
> (The actual content of the stream and any HTTP headers that come with
> it).

Thanks for that hint.
http://drifted.in/encoding/encoding.svg returns HTTP Content-type
image/svg+xml (according to Firebug)
but http://drifted.in/encoding/faces/encoding.svg returns
image/svg+xml;charset=ISO-8859-1

In Tomcat 6 powered web I am getting just 'image/svg+xml' in both cases.

> There are many ways how the things might break, but you are not saying
> what is "break" for you - what you are actually observing.

http://drifted.in/encoding/faces/index.xhtml - both HTML and SVG texts
should match
Now I see the Content-type of that HTML page is text/html;charset=UTF-8
while that SVG in it is image/svg+xml;charset=ISO-8859-1

> Are both Tomcats on the same system? Maybe your system encoding is
> different?

It has been tested on my PC initially (Win7/64bit), but the same result I am
getting now on Linux Debian (hosted site).

> What component writes the svg file to the response stream, and how it
> does that?

In this test case the SVG file is static, just included in WAR.

So Tomcat 7 seem to be maybe too active with adding that encoding when not
it is not specified. I am just thinking where to specify that encoding for
standalone SVG files. In web.xml?

Jan