2011/8/26 Johannes Ernst <jer...@netmesh.us>:

> On Aug 26, 2011, at 4:10, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>
>> 2011/8/26 Johannes Ernst <jer...@netmesh.us>:
>>> I'd like to do this in Tomcat 6:
>>
>> Which exactly version of Tomcat 6.0.x you are using?
>>

>>> Is there some way I can debug this?
>>>

>> Yes. Debugging is described in FAQ.
>> Also see WEB-INF/web.xml for the name of the servlet that performs
>> processing of this URL + read the source code.
>
> Well, the code seems to be here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_6_0_22/java/org/apache/catalina/manager/ManagerServlet.java
>
> Method deploy( PrintWriter writer, String config, String path, String war,
> boolean update ). Which says:
>        if (path == null || path.length() == 0 || !path.startsWith("/")) {
>            writer.println(sm.getString("managerServlet.invalidPath",
>                                        RequestUtil.filter(path)));
>            return;
>        }
>
> which seems to contradict the documentation, which claims that I don't need
> to specify path if I give it a context.xml file. (And why should I if
> context.xml contains a path?)

The code copies the context file into conf/<service name>/<host
name>/<path>.xml  and in that context file the path attribute cannot
be specified. Thus you actually cannot specify it in your context.xml
and need to use the path parameter.

The documentation has to be updated. Please file an issue.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko