On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 10:06 -0400, Tim Watts wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 09:51 -0400, Alejandro Soto wrote:
> > Hi my friends, I want to ask you all, If there is a way to control the timed
> > out of sessions with tomcat, what I need is when the session timed out,
> > automatically the user is redirected to the login page, Is this possible to
> > do that from tomcat?, I mean, tomcat triggers some event to the user with
> > session timed out, with no need user interaction.
> >
> > I know that the time of inactivity of the session is setup in web.xml, with
> > that I have no problem, what I need is just redirect to a login page when
> > the session timed out.
> >

> You mean when a browser is just sitting idle and the session times out
> on the server, the browser is automatically redirected to the login
> page?  If so, see JavaScript and timers (all JavaScript caveats apply).
> But Tomcat itself cannot reach out and trigger events at the client.
>
> Also, they will not be redirected to the login page if they are not
> already at a page that requires authentication. You can't directly
> redirect to the login page. So the JavaScript script would need to
> redirect to a protected page when the timer pops (could be the page
> they're on, could be something else).

I should also point out that this approach is somewhat kludgey because
of the inherent latency problems when the session is close to
expiration.  But I don't know of a rock solid approach. You just have to
have the timer pop sufficiently sooner than the session expiration --
for some value of "sufficient".