From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 2:46 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JAR locked in Tomcat after using addUrl to dynamically add JAR to
running webapp

On 21/10/2011 03:00, Bob DeRemer wrote:
> While I can appreciate the desire to never use Windows, that isn't
> reality in many of the industries that use our product, so running
> Tomcat on windows can't be considered an oddity or edge case.  If it
> is, we better look for another app server.

If that were the case, the Tomcat devs wouldn't have put the investment they
have into the Windows installer in recent months (auto detection of
32 or 64 bit JRE, greater control over ports, multiple service installs of the
same version, ...)

> With regard to finding a solution, I'll try the antiJarLocking
> setting, but I don't have any problem with any other JARS, so I don't
> hold out much hope for this fixing my problem.  I may look at
> upgrading to JDK 7 - which has added a "close" method to the
> URLClassLoader.  Perhaps this might fix it.

Maybe.

> If anyone else has any other ideas why ONLY JARs added via the addURL
> "hack" I've shown below don't get unloaded when the WEBAPP is shutdown
> - vs stopping Tomcat completely, I would greatly appreciate it.

You need to understand the root cause. I'd recommend getting a profiler (I use
YourKit since they give free copies to Tomcat committers) and finding out
exactly what is holding references to those JARs. Once you know that the next
questions are 1. What creates those references and 2.
How to get rid of them.

Mark