From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 7:42 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JAR locked in Tomcat after using addUrl to dynamically add JAR to
running webapp

On 21/10/2011 12:22, Bob DeRemer wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> With regard to using Tomcat in production, that was meant
> sarcastically - the team has done a nice job on later Tomcat 6 and
> Tomcat 7 32/64-bit installations - including Windows Service support,
> etc. - nice work.

That comment was more aimed at the archives than you ;)

> With regard to using YourKit, I have a licensed copy, but must be
> missing something - where can I look to see what is holding a
> reference to the JAR?  I've used it for memory analysis and CPU
> profiling - primarily, but I'm not sure where to look for JAR
> references.

File locks can be tricky to pin down. I usually do something along the lines of:
1. Take a memory snapshot
2. Switch to the object view
3. Search for the name of the JAR
4. Trace the GC roots of a promising looking object

Normally, the JAR name appears in a String for a JarFile or File object and
that traces back to whatever is holding the reference.

I'd be happy to take a look at the snapshot for you if you can put the snapshot
somewhere where I can download it.

Mark