On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Hernán,
>
> On 12/14/11 5:45 PM, hernan wrote:
> > I'm using Tomcat 7.0 for developing a new application. A key
> > component in the application have to run an external not
> > multithreaded application.
> >
> > Since I'm not an experienced user in Tomcat, I wonder which
> > implementation alternatives do you recommend for running my
> > external application. I'm trying to avoid launch a new os process
> > from java since I need the result of that process, so in this way
> > I've to deal communicating two processes (may be using serializable
> > objects using sockets).
>
> So, is this other program a Java program? Since you said
> "serializable" you probably are talking about running another Java
> "program".
>
> What makes this "external" "program" non-multithreaded? Is it actually
> not threadsafe?
>
> If you can't run it in the same process as Tomcat, then you'll have to
> either use Runtime.exec or some type of wrapper around it -- or have
> that process running completely separately (as a daemon) and connect
> to it via sockets. Anything else requires native code, which you
> definitely don't want.

My external application is a java application that uses java wrapper (using
JNI) for GLPK (written in ANSI C) (http://www.gnu.org/s/glpk/), and GLPK is
not threadsafe. Yes, I will consider those alternatives, executing a new
process when I receive the request (Runtime.exec) and a separated deamon
receiving requests launching those processes.

> > I want to know which kind of approachs are used to deal with these
> > type of situations.
>
> What about running in-process? Even if the class(es) is(are) not
> threadsafe, you might be able to use separate instances from your
> request processor threads.

Can I configure tomcat for running a new (or different) process for each
request? or I have to run Apache HTTP Server and connect it to Tomcat? If I
have to run Apache HTTP Server which mechanism do I have to connect it with
tomcat? using Jk connector is the standard way?

Do you recommend me to read
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html ? I've found
also http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html but it
seems to be outdated.