mandg wrote:
Thanks guys- that was all good info. So I gather now that I'll leave the AJP
connector configuration alone and instead focus on getting the APR piece to
work for SSL - I do in fact have the tcnative-1.dll file present in my /bin
directory so I'm pretty confident now that my server is invoking the APR
connector and not the JSEE. Thus, my keystore attributes I was originally
using were not relevent. Here is my current connector config from the
server.xml:

<Connector port="8443" maxThreads="200"
           scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
SSLCertificateFile="$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/keystore/hpsmprod.crt" SSLCertificateKeyFile="$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/keystore/hpsmprod.pem"
           clientAuth="false" SSLProtocol="TLSv1"/>

However, when I startup Tomcat (installed as a service), I see the 2 errors
below in my tomcat6-stedd log file:

         SEVERE: Failed to start connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8443]]
        LifecycleException:  service.getName(): "Catalina";  Protocol
handler start failed: java.lang.Exception: Socket bind failed: [730048] Only
one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally
permitted.
I have verified that there's nothing else listening on 8443 using netstat
and tcpview prior to starting Tomcat. Is it possible that the xml is trying
to start up a duplicate instance on 8443?

Well, apart from the one you show above, do you have any other non-commented-out <Connector> sections in your server.xml file ?