> From: David kerber [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

> Java can have memory leaks just as easily as C can

Not really; leaks in C are much easier to create.

> if the app is standalone, it will release them when the app
> closes and the JRE shuts down.

That's true for C and any other language as well.

> if the app is running under tomcat, the JRE never shuts down
> since tomcat is using it.  That means the JRE can not free up
> memory that your app has left allocated, as it would be able
> to in a standalone app.

Although that's true, it's not really relevant.  Memory leaks in Java occur
when some program logic hangs onto references it no longer needs (e.g., in a
static HashMap).  These objects won't be discarded by the garbage collector
since they are reachable - the program logic failed to remove them from the
structure when it was done with them.  Restarting the webapp will release these
objects.

The more subtle leaks that occur when reloading a webapp are typically due to
references to the webapp's classes or classloader being held by some component
outside of the webapp, such as a shared logger.  Those are the ones that
require restart of Tomcat.

Regardless, we still have no real evidence of what's going on at Luciano's site.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.