Hi,

Here is how one can reproduce the scenario:

1. Start Tomcat
2. Put attached war in webapps folder
3. In the console the following error message is printed:

INFO: Deploying web application archive
C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.25\webapps\test-web-app.war
Feb 4, 2012 10:41:44 PM org.apache.catalina.util.ExtensionValidator
validateManifestResources
INFO: ExtensionValidator[/test-web-app][Web Application Manifest]: Required
extension [test-jar] not found.
Feb 4, 2012 10:41:44 PM org.apache.catalina.util.ExtensionValidator
validateManifestResources
INFO: ExtensionValidator[/test-web-app]: Failure to find [1] required
extension(s).
Feb 4, 2012 10:41:44 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
startInternal
SEVERE: Error getConfigured
Feb 4, 2012 10:41:44 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
startInternal
SEVERE: Context [/test-web-app] startup failed due to previous errors

4. Stop Tomcat
5. Create folder - C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.25\ext
6. Put the attached jar file in the folder created on step 5
7. Start Tomcat with additional VM argument
-Dcatalina.ext.dirs=C:/apache-tomcat-7.0.25/ext
8. This time the application is deployed successfully.
9. Request http://localhost:8080/test-web-app/TestServlet
10. Internal Server Error is returned with the following Exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: test.TestExtension

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1701)

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1546)
        test.TestServlet.doGet(TestServlet.java:28)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)

I did not change any other Tomcat configuration so it is running with
defaults.

The scenario is that TestServlet (in war file) instantiates TestExtension
(in jar file, placed in the ext directory).

Regards
Violeta