-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 1:35 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Web service not starting up as expected

Debbie Shapiro wrote:

> How do you start Tomcat when you start it "manually"? How about when
> you schedule a restart?
>
> I either directly run the .bat command or launch the scheduled task that
> normally runs the same .bat command.
>
> The contents of the .bat file is as follows:
>

> sc \\bidev2 stop Tomcat7
>
> taskkill /F /FI "IMAGENAME eq java.exe" /FI "USERNAME eq NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"

Now wait..
I am not so familiar with these Windows commands, but do I see above
a) a command to stop the Tomcat service
b) a command killing java.exe ?

Yes. This code is sort of a holdover from another application that I could only
kill the service by also killing the java.exe processes that it was tied to,
otherwise it couldn't obtain the port because it was already in use. Probably
not necessary for this application, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

> REM delay batch job to wait for services to stop
>
> for /F "tokens=1-4 delims=/- " %%A in ('date/T') do set DATE=%%B%%C%%D
> for /F "tokens=1-4 delims=:., " %%a in ('time/T') do set TIME=%%a%%b%%c
>
> cd c:\"Program Files"\"Apache Software Foundation"\"Tomcat
> 7.0"\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes
> rename sree.log %DATE%_%TIME%_sree.log
> rename schedule.log %DATE%_%TIME%_schedule.log
>
> cd c:\"Program Files"\"Apache Software Foundation"\"Tomcat
> 7.0"\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes
> compact %DATE%_%TIME%_sree.log /c
> compact %DATE%_%TIME%_schedule.log /c

and c) a series of command tending to indicate that this application puts its
logfiles
inside the "classes" directory ?  (not fatal, but at least bizarre)

Yes, it does. This is the way the vendor coded it. I have brought it to their
attention but they don't seem to see a problem with it.