Allen -- Is there something in particular that your users need to do
for the common logging?  Any changes in the file or the setup of their
web app?

An example of the log4j.properties file from a WEB-INF/classes dir:

log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p %c - %m%n
log4j.appender.A1.File=/test/logs/app/console.log

log4j.appender.AppAppender=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.AppAppender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.AppAppender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p %c - %m%n
log4j.appender.AppAppender.File=/test/logs/app/app.log

log4j.rootLogger=WARN, A1
log4j.logger.opensearch=DEBUG,AppAppender

-- Chris