From: Neil Munro [mailto:neilmu...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:22 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat, JSP and LDAP

Hi all,
         I am trying to implement a means to authenticate a user on a web
app via ldap, I have been trying for some time and am now intimately
familiar with the files I need to edit, but not exactly how.

I know that much of the ldap stuff goes into the server.xml file inside of
the tomcat conf directory, it is here I have been trying to configure an
ldap realm. I have attached the files I have been working with, the basic
idea is that a user must first log on before they can access any area of the
site, also all users can log in, and access all areas of the site.

A user is presented with the login page, and if they cannot be authenticated
they are alerted and are given the option to redirect back to the login
page. Which I have working, thought I think that's simply because I cannot
get the logging in bit work.

I do not have access to the LDAP server or schema and cannot implement
changes to that, I can however alter the tomcat server, jsp files etc.
I am trying to write a company wide web app, and have free reign, but it's
historically been written in jsp so we want to keep as much of that as we
can.

Software and versions: Tomcat 6.0.35, Java 1.4 through to 1.7 (I am required
to have all installed) and Windows 7 64.

Any help would be fantastic as I have read lots of resources but there's no
definitive tutorial to set such a thing up.

Thanks,
Neil Munro