On 15 March 2012 17:01, Pid * <p...@pidster.com> wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2012, at 16:23, Neil Munro <neilmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>         I am trying to implement a means to authenticate a user on a
>> web app via ldap, I have been trying for some time and am now
>> intimately familiar with the files I need to edit, but not exactly
>> how.
>>
>> I know that much of the ldap stuff goes into the server.xml file
>> inside of the tomcat conf directory, it is here I have been trying to
>> configure an ldap realm.
>
> OK. Can you post that bit of config, inline in your reply? Passwords
> etc redacted in necessary.

Sure, here you are:
                <!--Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
debug="99"
                        connectionName="uid={0},ou=my company
users,dc=mycompany,dc=com "
                        connectionPassword="userPassword"
                        connectionURL="ldap://my.ldap.server.com";
                        alternateURL="ldap://my.ldap.server.com";
                        roleBase="ou=my company users,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
                        roleName="cn"
                        roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"
                        roleSubtree="false"
                        userSearch="(uid={0})"
                        userPassword="userPassword"
                        userPattern="uid={0},ou=my company
users,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
                /-->
                <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
debug="99"
                                connectionURL="ldap://my.ldap.server.com";
                                alternateURL="ldap://my.ldap.server.com";
                                userPattern="uid={0},ou=my company
users,dc=mycompany,dc=com" />

>> I have attached the files I have been working
>> with, the basic idea is that a user must first log on before they can
>> access any area of the site, also all users can log in, and access all
>> areas of the site.
>
> Can you explain how you are configuring the auth, please? Are you
> using the container FORM authentication, for example?
>
> If so, can you post that bit of config inline in your reply?

Yes I am using, or rather trying to use a html form to get the
information to pass to ldap to authenticate.

        <!--  uses form-based authentication -->
        <login-config>
                <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
                <form-login-config>
                        <form-login-page>/login.jsp</form-login-page>
                        <form-error-page>/fail_login.jsp</form-error-page>
                </form-login-config>
        </login-config>

Thank's,
Neil