On 1:59 PM, Pid * wrote:
On 25 Mar 2012, at 03:10, "Terence M. Bandoian"<tere...@tmbsw.com>  wrote:

On 1:59 PM, Pid * wrote:
On 23 Mar 2012, at 21:59, David Kerber<dcker...@verizon.net>   wrote:

On 3/23/2012 6:51 PM, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
On 1:59 PM, David kerber wrote:
On 3/23/2012 11:19 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: David kerber [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net]
Subject: jdbc driver location in TC 7
Where is the recommended location for jdbc driver jars in TC7,
when I'm using separate CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE locations?
If you look in conf/catalina.properties, you'll see the order in which the
common loader searches directories.

If it makes a difference, I am not using tomcat's connection
pooling; it's handled in my app.
That's a critical difference.

I generally would prefer to put it in my webapp's lib directory
That is the correct location, since Tomcat is not involved.
Great; thanks for confirming.

Hi, David-

I prefer the web app's lib directory as well but when I place the JDBC driver
there, a memory leak detection error is logged when I stop Tomcat.  Not a big
deal but I'd prefer not to have to explain.  When I move the JDBC driver to the
Tomcat lib directory, the error is no longer logged.  (Tomcat 6)
Even better would be to fix your probable connection leak.  I had some too,
when I went to a version that had the leak detection, but was able to fix them
all.

Yup. Just deregister the DB driver on app stop using a ServletContexListener.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  Wouldn't I see a connection leak no matter
where I placed the driver?
Only if you're not returning / cleaning up connection objects properly.

De-registering the driver may do the trick.
This addresses the driver leak&  warning by Tomcat.

Thanks again. Explicitly de-registering the driver eliminated the Tomcat error message with the driver located in WEB-INF/lib. From what I've read, JDBC 4.0 drivers automatically register themselves with DriverManager but I haven't seen anything about automatic de-registration. Apparently, Tomcat (6.0.29) takes care of that if the driver is located in the Tomcat lib directory but not if it is located in web application's lib directory. Or maybe de-registration isn't a concern when Tomcat is shutting down.

-Terence Bandoian