Dilip,

On 4/20/12 12:43 PM, Dilip Shah wrote:
> The following provides clarifications / details on the environments
> in which the application is developed and then hosted: (quite a bit
> of detail but I'm hoping this will help get to the root of the
> issue)
>
> Develop environment: ================= * Windows XP SP3

You should upgrade, eventually. IIRC, Microsoft just extended support
for WinXP (again) but it's quite long in the tooth.

> * Tomcat version information: C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.25\bin>version
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.25

Same here. 5.5.x will reach end-of-life in September 2012. It's time
to start testing your applications with a new version of Tomcat. I
recommend skipping all the way up to 7.0.x.

> * There is a log4j.properties file in
> CATALINA_HOME\common\classes\ (attached as
> log4j.properties.dev.tomcat)

This will confuse things.

> * There is a log4j.properties file in the application's
> WEB-INF\classes\ (attached as log4j.properties.dev.application)

This is where this file belongs.

> * jar files in the application's WEB-INF\lib folder: Directory of
> C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.25\webapps\SmartCloudLearningMobi\WEB-INF\lib
> 09/11/2009  05:35 PM            60,841 commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
> 05/19/2009  01:51 PM           391,834 log4j-1.2.15.jar

This is where log4j.jar belongs. Are you also using commons-logging in
your own webapp -- or does some component require it? If not, remove
it because it will just cause confusion. (Note that many Apache
libraries do require commons-logging).

> * log4j-1.2.15.jar is also in CATALINA_HOME\common\lib\

This will confuse things.

If all is as it should be, the libraries in common/lib and the
log4j.properties file in common/classes should both be ignored if you
are initializing log4j from within your own webapp (are you? or is
some other component initializing it?): the ClassLoader should be
to load from common/*.

If you are using a library stored in common/lib or a class in
common/classes that is initializing log4j, then you may be getting
both the common library and the common configuration loaded, depending
on exactly how the initialization is done.

Would it be possible to remove everything from common/*? It seemed
like a good idea at the time, but common/* turns out to be a really
bad idea for a number of reasons.

> *** The problem I'm trying to solve does not exist in the
> development environment!!! ***

Obviously, there is some difference. What are those differences?

> - note that here also, I have the Spring and Hibernate related jar
> files that I suspect are adding these INFO and DEBUG entries in
> CATALINA_HOME\common\lib\

Stop doing that. If you use Hibernate directly in your app (or Spring
does it for you, which is more likely) then these libraries ought to
be in WEB-INF/lib.

> Question: * where are the other files such as
> admin.2012-04-20.log, catalina.2012-04-20.log, etc configured?

If you are using JULI, then they should be configured in
logging.properties. Read the "Logging" section of the User's Guide for
details. Note that this is "server" logging and not application logging.

> Question: * who could be responsible for creating and configuring
> catalina.out file on the Linux sever? Where do I look?

As Konstantin says under separate cover, catalina.out is redirected
stdout. The only place that filename should appear is in bin/catalina.sh.