2012/4/30 Jeff MAURY <jeffma...@jeffmaury.com>:
> Salut Olivier,
>
> I wanted to make sure I understand the goal properly.
> Is the rationale for using src/main/webapp as the default docbase for
> Tomcat to propagate modifications of files on the fly (JSP,...) without the
> need to restart Tomcat ?
Yup that's the goal. Fast dev mode (i.e. no restart) when only
modifying jsp or static resources (html, js, css etc...)
> At least, I think we should make it clear in the documentation and issue a
> warning at runtime when we detect an overlay.
What I can do is to extract the war content (except WEB-INF/lib as
it's already added) under the warSourceDirectory plugin parameter
(default src/main/webapp) which is the docBase (but with a parameter
called extractPath relative to the docBase).
The plugin configuration part could be
          <overlays>
            <overlay>
              <groupId>org.foo</groupId>
              <artifactId>bar</artifactId>
              <extractPath>bar</extractPath>
            </overlay>
          </overlays>

What I don't like is people will have to ignore this directory in their scm

The best: extract somewhere (temporary directory) and add this as "a
symlink" in the docBase.