Chad,

On 5/25/12 3:31 PM, chad.da...@emc.com wrote:
> I'm trying to convert my app to use the preferred catalina base
> and home deployment.

I dunno about /preferred/, but it certainly is flexible.

> I understand that this allows for easier migration between tomcat
> versions, etc.

Absolutely!

> As a point of reference, I'm reading about how to do this in
> Tomcat: The Definitive Guide.  Also, I'm dealing with 5.5.35, if
> that matters.

CATALINA_BASE and CATALINA_HOME have worked (roughly) the same way
since at least as far back as Tomcat 4.1.

> I have one question.  I understand that the separation of the core
> tomcat stuff from my instance stuff is good.  But the book says to
> copy the entire conf folder over to my instance folder (
> CATALINA_BASE/myapp/conf ).  Isn't this copying a bunch of tomcat
> version specific stuff that I'll have to sift through when it's
> time to migrate?

Yes and no. First, you *must* have a separate conf/server.xml file
otherwise all your instances will conflict with their port numbers,
etc. Same thing with conf/tomcat-users.xml -- that would be a security
issue to share that configuration.

Technically, you can leave catalina.policy, catalina.properties,
context.xml, and logging.properties in CATALINA_HOME/conf and Tomcat
will pick them up.

You'll have to check, but you may be able to leave web.xml out of
CATALINA_BASE/conf and Tomcat will pick-up the one from
CATALINA_HOME/conf.

> Will I be able to just upgrade CATALINA_HOME and not upgrade all of
> that copied conf stuff as well?

When upgrading between major versions of Tomcat (say, 5.5 -> 7.0 which
you should do at your earliest possible convenience), you *will* have
to ditch your server.xml. You will also have to replace your
conf/web.xml file with the one that comes with the version of Tomcat
that you are using. I think everything else left over (assuming you
have left out catalina.policy, etc. as I described above) then you
should be good to go after a new server.xml has been installed.

When I upgrade from one version to the next, I usually just do a diff
of my server.xml and the one that is in CATALINA_HOME/conf of the
version I'm /leaving/. Then, I get a fresh copy of server.xml from the
*new* version of Tomcat, stick it in CATALINA_BASE/conf/ and apply
basically the same changes to it. That way, I don't break things like
logging, standard Listener configuration, etc.

Hope that helps,