I found this interesting article about how Linux handles requests for
memory, look at section "9.6 Overcommit and OOM":
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-9.html
I verified that our system runs with overcommit_memory = 0 and
overcommit_ratio = 50. Which are the default values.

This post suggest to change these settings to 2 and 80 respectively, but
we may not be able to start any new processes if we run out of memory (and
therefore we may not be able to connect to the machine).
http://www.hskupin.info/2010/06/17/how-to-fix-the-oom-killer-crashe-under-l
inux/

Since we pre-allocate all the java heap memory (by setting -Xmx and -Xms
to the same value), we accelerate the OOM killing the process.

Therefore, the leak that is causing the problem just occur faster than if
we only set the max value of the heap with -Xmx.
Before I had made the recommendation to run with -Xmx and -Xms equal to
the same value, but I think this works well in Solaris but not in Linux.

Removing the -Xms option may give us just for more time between
the occurrences of running out of memory.

Nevertheless, I am finding that after removing the -Xms option, the
process memory usage stabilizes and stops growing.

-Jorge