You are likely getting the same error in both cases. Just that in the first
case you can see the error on the console.
In the second case it's just going to a log file.

It could be a bad download/unzip/permission error.

Make sure you have JAVA_HOME defined (maybe in your ~/.profile )

Oz

On 19/06/2012, at 10:55 PM, Daniel Mikusa wrote:

> [...]

startup.sh and shutdown.sh are useful in a development environment.
You'll likely need to learn how to use catalina.sh in a production environment.