Samuel,

On 6/18/12 11:34 PM, Samuel V Green III wrote:
> I followed directions for install and config here:
> http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/tomcat7

I use Tomcat 7.0.27 on my Mac every day. I'm not sure why you needed
an "installation guide" when the instructions are so darned simple:

1. Download tarball
2. Un-tar tarball

Done.

Oh, you want to actually /run/ it? That's easy:

$ bin/startup.sh

You don't need any sudo access or anything like that.

> and here:
>
> http://www.janhellevik.no/blog/?p=323
>
> When attempting to start Tomcat I get the following error…. ( I've
> googled the _ _ it out of this error and can't find a fix.
>
> sudo $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run

You really shouldn't run Tomcat as root.

> Password: Using CATALINA_BASE:   /Library/Tomcat Using
> CATALINA_HOME:   /Library/Tomcat Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
> /Library/Tomcat/temp Using JRE_HOME:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home

Using CLASSPATH:
/Library/Tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Library/Tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
> org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap Caused by:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap at
> java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202) at
> java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at
> java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190) at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306) at
> sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301) at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
>
> When I attempt start this way:
>
> sudo /Library/Tomcat/bin/startup.sh Password: Using CATALINA_BASE:
> /Library/Tomcat Using CATALINA_HOME:   /Library/Tomcat Using
> CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/Tomcat/temp Using JRE_HOME:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home

Using CLASSPATH:
/Library/Tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Library/Tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

> I get no errors, but http://localhost:8080 does not connect.

That's odd that explicitly-specifying the path to Tomcat instead of
using the CATALINA_HOME environment variable changes anything.

Do this:

1. Stop Tomcat (use 'ps' or 'Activity Monitor' to make sure it's dead)
2. Remove all log files from $CATALINA_HOME/logs/*
3. Start Tomcat using "startup.sh"
4. Post-back the entire contents of $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out
5. Also post the non-comment portions of your conf/server.xml file