Hello Jeff & all,

> Von: Jeff MAURY <jeffma...@jeffmaury.com>
> Datum: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:46:02 +0200

> Konstantin,
>
> your explanations are very interesting but unclear to me: what do you
> call the inactivity timer ? When it is started ? After the request has
> been processed by the servlet ? In that case, I see no difference
> between a servlet that launch a process and another one.
> It seems to me that a process that is launched does not inhererits
> handles from its parent process but it's possible that under Windows,
> it's an option so it would be interesting to watch.
>
> Jeff

Sorry, I'm just a normal Tomcat user, and I don't know how exactly the APR
connector and its Timeout works, so I am unable to answer that.

Howewer, I did some further observations:

-When I perform a request to the servlet that opens wordpad.exe, the TCP
connection from Tomcat does not close after the timeout - even when I kill the
Tomcat process (java.exe), the TCP connection is still open. If I kill
wordpad.exe, then finally the connection is closed/aborted.
-When I have 1 TCP connection open to Tomcat and the servlet starts the little
C program, Task manager shows that it has 11 handles.
However, when I have 5 TCP connections open to Tomcat, and do the request on
one of them, Task maanger shows that the C program has 15 handles - so four
more handles when there are four more connections to Tomcat. All of that 5 TCP
connections don't close until I kill that process.

That seems to me to be an indication that socket handles could be inherited by
the child processes that are startet by ProcessBuilder from tomcat.

A msdn article mentions how to create a new process using CreateProcess(); it
also mentions that socket handles can be inherited:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724466.aspx

However, as I don't have much knowledge about programming with WinAPIs, I don't
know why those handles are inherited (the MSDN article mentions that a handle
must be specified as inheritable when created, to allow a child process to
inherit it). Maybe someone with more WinAPI/Tomcat Native knowledge can help
here.

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer