This leads nicely into something I'm about to approach. We have a few maven
based projects. I'd like to avoid having to manually deploy the build
artifacts onto the respective QA VMs and perform the QA'ing of the
components together.

Sounds nicer to build a maven project that depends on each artifact and has
tests that run across the deployed instances. proj-1.qa.mydomain and
proj-2.qa.mydomain for instance.

So I was considering building just such a project but using maven to
remotely deploy each artifact into each TomEE instance then run the tests.
Before I try, is this considered "normal" practice or there are better ways?

By moving in this direction I'm rather hoping to automate with Jenkins!