I think there is a firewall configuration somewhere that is crashing the
application.

I've managed to reproduce your issue in an amazon ec2 box (
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1459144/tomee-list/tomee-remote-00.png).
Currently the GUI uses websockets. Regular http connections and websockets
share the same port 80. It turns out that the javascript code can't connect
to the server, and it logs an exception stating it (
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1459144/tomee-list/tomee-remote-01.png)

The Tomee server above is mapped to both 80 (via Apache httpd) and 8080
(Direct access). As soon as I try the port 8080 instead, it gets back to
normal. (
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1459144/tomee-list/tomee-remote-02.png)

Can you check if that works for you too?

Error code 400 (Bad request)
http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E400.html

[]s,
Thiago.