I tried it with 1.6.0, 1.6.0.1 and the latest 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT  from
https://tomee.apache.org/download/tomee-1.6.1-snapshot.html (The last one is
the trunk, isn't it?).

Unfortunately the relevant logs are only shown if you enable TRACE-Logging
for "org.atmosphere" (I use slf4j via log4j).
If you enable TRACE-Logging you should see lots of "TRACE
[org.atmosphere.cdi.CDIObjectFactory (CDIObjectFactory.java:60)]
(localhost-startStop-1) - Unable to find XXX. Creating the object directly."
during deployment.

You can access the running sample via
http://localhost:8080/atmosphere-chat-cdi/. If you enter a name and press
enter the field should stay grey because of a NullpointerException inside
CDIChat.java (line 76), because the decoder was not injected. (see:
https://github.com/Atmosphere/atmosphere-samples/blob/master/extensions-samples/chat-cdi/src/main/java/org/atmosphere/samples/chat/CDIChat.java#L76)

Unfortunately this exception is also only logged at TRACE level.