Oops, checked master sources (3.0 actually).

You are right. If you are 100% client you can use a tomee web profile
and add cxf either in tomee or your app. If not I didn't check it
recently but there should be a way to provide the client in your app
too.

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/