I've made no progress on testing using the latest suggestion here, but I
wanted to report a new finding. Others in my group have been working to
address other datasource related issues and made progress using
'openejb.datasource.pool = true' on the datasources and suggested I try this
too. I retested my test application with this property set and the result is
that it had no effect with DB2, but it caused my problem to appear in the
remote TomEE case. As I mentioned before, without this property set my issue
here would occur with Oracle in the embedded TomEE case, but not the remote
TomEE case. But now with this property set it occurs with Oracle in both
cases. I don't know if this is significant, but it seemed worth mentioning
in case it helps others have more insight.