> On Feb 27, 2019, at 10:11 AM, COURTAULT Francois
> <francois.courta...@gemalto.com> wrote:
>
> My  understanding is:
>
> ·         If the JWT only have the required custom claim groups and let's say
>  we have in this one "group1", "group2", "group3", it means that, if no
> mapping is provided,
> the entity represented by the jwt has the roles "group1", "group2", "group3".
> Is it right ?

Correct.

> ·         In the spec, §4.2 Additional Claims, we may have a new custom claim
> "roles" (example provided at page 12 "auditor", "administrator").
> It means that the entity represented by the jwt has the roles "auditor" and
> "administrator" and  belongs to the groups
> "red-group","green-group","admin-group".
> Is it right ?

This is not specified.  The long and short is we (MP-JWT spec group) couldn't
agree on if the claim in the token should be called 'roles' or 'groups'.  We
opted for 'group' with the intent to provide some flexibility to the
implementation.  To your question below, the implementation in TomEE uses the
'groups' as the roles and there is no way to specify additional mapping in the
server itself.  Currently, you'd have to do that in the app (or contribute some
functionality so it's done in the server).

Were that functionality to exist, your interpretation is certainly one mode we
could use.  Really there are only two logical modes (theoretically)

 - Take the explicitly mapped roles, don't add the "implicit" roles (groups)
 - Take the explicitly mapped roles, add them on top of the "implicit" roles

Coming back to the "4.2 Additional Claims" section.  I wrote that particular
section (Scott wrote most the main chapters) wanting to put a stake in the sand
that this may show up in a future revision of the spec.  Given the thoughts
above, probably what would make the most sense is to implement something and
see how it goes, then come back to the MP JWT spec with a proposal.

If you had to chose, which policy above would you want?

-David