Ok, I think may see the start of my problem.  I have been unable to setup a
WicketFilter with JkMount /myapp* .   I have only been able to successfully
use the WicketWilter if my JkMount is "JkMount /* default" for example.  I
have been trying exactly what you mention below but to no success (sorry for
the confusion):

-- Run a Wicket webapp on http://appserver.com:8080/
--    (Note that's a root context path.)
--  - Map Wicket to the root using servlet mapping/filter mapping of "/*".
--  - Pass requests from an Apache which land on www.mydomain.com through
--    to the Apache, unless they land on /myapp/*, in which case send them
--    to Wicket.

Here is my filter:

           <filter>
                <filter-name>MyWebsite</filter-name>

<filter-class>org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter</filter-class>
                <init-param>
                        <param-name>applicationClassName</param-name>
                        <param-value>com.mywebsite.MyApplication</param-value>
                </init-param>
                <init-param>
         <param-name>filterMappingUrlPattern</param-name>
            <param-value>/*</param-value>
         </init-param>
        </filter>

        <filter-mapping>
           <filter-name>MyWebsite</filter-name>
           <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

Here is JkMount:
     <IfModule mod_jk.c>
         JkMount /myapp* default
         JkMount /myapp/* default
         JkUnMount /images default
         JkUnMount
    </IfModule>

If i could get this to work, I bet all of my hard to explain issues go away.
Those JkMounts above result in 404 errors.  I have no mod_rewrites of any
sort that would be interfering.  If I do this though, it works

      <IfModule mod_jk.c>
         JkMount  /* default
         JkUnMount /images
      </IfModule>

I have no mod_rewrites or anything that would conflict.  I am viewing the
source of the WicketFilter and see the filterMappingUrlPattern which i why I
included it web.xml init params, although it is not mentioned on the
migration docs:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-13.html#Migrate-1.3-FilterinsteadofaServlet
.

So, rather than confuse you any more, is it obvious from the the above why
the Filter only works when I JkMount /* default ?  If I could get it to
JkMount /myapp* default, all of my relative path issues would most likely go
away according to what you have explained.

Thanks again