igor,

I've not been able to get rid of the requirement I've been given to support
an Ajax capable client and old browser with tiny bit of JavaScript. Your
words seem more true than ever but I can't think of a better way of doing it
than the Swing/AWT style with our own simple objects being proxies to
different Wicket components. e.g. AjaxButton or Button... What would you do
if you were me? Before I try and make our prototype ship shape ;)

Today your words seemed even more true as I'm tempted to digress from the
Wicket style and use event handler style: someButton.add(new EventHandler...
So as you say writing our own framework.