I hate to say it, but I'll do it anyway:

It is a wiki so if you think something is
missing/incomplete/incorrect/needs restructuring... log on and make it
better! Not only will you benefit from the change, but the rest of the
community will have a better life too!

As for the component descriptions, we are trying to coerse maven into
generating a website similar to the one we had for 1.2, but now for
1.3.

in the future it will become available here (nothing there to see at
this moment):

http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13

and the url structure would be something like:

http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/index.html <- overview
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket <- wicket core
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/dependencies.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/index.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/source-repository.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/apidocs
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/index.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/dependencies.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/source-repository.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/apidocs
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-datetime
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-datetime/index.html
etc.

Martijn

On 9/9/07, Johan Maasing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A maven archetype is really helpful and the quickstart guide is good
> but for me personally I would rather see the documentation
> restructured a bit. The thing I miss is a small text explaining what
> the different JAR-files actually contain. Something like this (pardon
> my english, it is not my native language):
>
> Introduction
> -----------------
> To build a wicket web application you need to understand the
> WAR-format and what the web.xml is. "Introduction on Java web
> applications" A must read for anyone developing web applications with
> Java. We presume you know this before you start working with Wicket.
>
> Quick start
> ----------------
> The following JAR-files are the minimum needed in WEB-INF/lib to
> developa a wicket application:
> * wicket-1.3.0-beta3.jar
> * slf4j-api-1.4.2.jar
> * slf4j-jdk14-1.4.2.jar
>
> Maven
> ---------
> If you use maven (http://maven.apache.org/) which the wicket project
> uses there is an arcehtype that can get you up to speed quickly. See
> http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html
>
> That's it, now go kick the tires!
>
> More features of wicket
> ----------------------------------
> * wicket-auth-roles-1.3.0-beta3.jar -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/acegi-and-wicket-auth-roles.html
> * wicket-datetime-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-extensions-1.3.0-beta3.jar - More components...
> * wicket-ioc-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-guice-1.3.0-beta3.jar - Integration with the Guice IoC container
> * wicket-jmx-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-objectsizeof-agent-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-spring-1.3.0-beta3.jar - http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/spring.html
> * wicket-spring-annot-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-velocity-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
>

> On 9/8/07, Gwyn Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 8, 2007, 2:00:32 PM, Johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, there is nothing special about Ant and wicket is very easy to
> > > set up and the dependencies needed are kind of explained somewhere.
> > > But I keep seing requests for information from newbies (such as
> > > myself) answered with maven command lines or "look at the source".
> >
> > Well, that's part of the reason that we've created the Maven Archetype
> > for QuickStart and documented it at
> > http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html.
> >
> > While we've got nothing against anyone creating a "Wicket and Ant"
> > page on the Wiki, if users aren't able to either install Maven to use
> > the Archetype or take the downloads we supply and use them in Ant
> > without it all done for them, then to my mind, there's a significant
> > danger that the level of OO coding required to use Wicket might be
> > problematic for them...
> >
> > /Gwyn

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/