The only caveat you'll have is whether or not the backbutton is
supported long enough, and how many copies of that page you want to
have in memory.

If the non-2nd level cache way works for you, then there is absolutely
nobody telling you to stop using it. The difference has mostly to do
with providing backbutton support and optimizing memory usage. In your
case it is probably best to limit the backbutton, as you claim to work
a lot with ajax. So the back button functionality is probably already
not working (users can press it, but they will leave your site, or go
back to the login page).

Profile the memory usage, multiply with the number of users you expect
and ask if it still fits on the machine available for your budget.

The second level cache will still keep the last rendered page in
memory as I understand it, so that 32MB will still be claimed,
whatever store you choose.

Martijn