For a similar case, I override (in MyBehavior)
    @Override
    public final void respond(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
        try {
            Request req = RequestCycle.get().getRequest();
            String param1 = req.getParameter("param1");
            // to stuff
            super.respond(target); //??
        } catch (RuntimeException exc) {
            throw exc;
        } catch (Exception exc) {
            throw new RuntimeException("wrap: " + exc.getMessage(), exc);

And you need to override (server or client side) the callbackUrl to add
parameter.

ywtsang wrote:
How to pass information (stored in an attribute of a html tag, or javascript
variable) through ajax without involving form?

e.g. there is an ajax link and after I click this ajax link, an ajax event
is triggered and I want to get the states of other html elements/javascript
states in this ajax event

it is no problem to use form, but we have a restriction that no form is used
(may look weird to all here), so I would like to see if there is workaround
in wicket.