Do this

                double x= 8.3;

                Label dbl = new Label("dbllbl",""+x){

                        @Override
                        protected void onComponentTagBody(final MarkupStream
markupStream, final
ComponentTag openTag)
                        {
                                Object val =
getConverter().convert(getModelObjectAsString(),
Double.class);
                                final NumberFormat nf =
NumberFormat.getCurrencyInstance();
                                String newval = nf.format(val);
                                replaceComponentTagBody(markupStream, openTag,
newval);
                        }

                };

If you want to vary the locale on some cond, just use the method
 getCurrencyInstance(Locale inLocale) in NumberFormat class

-swaroop