Hi Serge,

The main benefits I see are:

-modularity: now our applications are composed of small modules adding specific functionality (e.g. scheduling, reporting,...). You don't need to use the whole stack but just those needed for your particular application (or those for which a customer has paid for;-). -pluggability. For instance, just by "dropping" a new bundle into the OSGi runtime all tables in our applications can suddenly export themselves to excel or pdf, or by adding another bundle tables can save snapshots of themselves, or a new bundle may add menu entries to the main application flow. All this without the need to stop the application. This is possible because many of our components consult some services, acting as extension points, at the time of building themselves. The bundles adding extra functionality can have also "extension points" that you can use to configure them (e.g. you may define exactly how you want to export to PDF or excel (headers, colors, and so on). So it opens up a lot of possibilities...

Ernesto

Serge Libotte wrote:
Hi Ernesto,

You tell about some problems you met but could you summarize the benefits
you had by adopting OSGI?

Thanks,

Serge.