Hi jweekend,

On Nov 22, 2007 9:41 AM, jweekend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Since this is the mailing-list for all things, technical and non-technical,
> related to Wicket, from *a Wicket application developers perspective* what
> are the main benefits of introducing the complexity of Seam to a project in
> terms of development/maintenance/extensibility/support etc into a Wicket
> web-app project (bijcetion/conversations ...?) as opposed to the benefits of
> using Wicket on Seam projects (which is presumably the chance to use Wicket
> and its great component model in place of JSF as the view technology ??).
> I notice that the webbeans spec ( http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=299 JSR
> 299 ) is coming along now - presumably this spec looks quite a lot like the
> Seam mission-statement. Again, what are the implications (and
> pros/cons/opportunities, if any) for Wicket based projects?
>
> Regards - Cemal
> http://jWeekend.co.uk http://jWeekend.co.uk

This is a very good question. Let me explain my point of view:

* From a Wicket application developers perspective:

Pros:
1. Separation of concerns: Move all business logic to the "Seam
layer". So Wicket code manages only the view.
    - For example: You can develop many "Wicket views" (html, wml, ..)
all they bounded to the same loosely coupled "Seam layer"
2. Easy decoupled access to EJB3.0, JNDI Resources, Web Services and
JBPM Engine.

Cons:
More dependencies, more layers (this is not a con from my view, but
may be for others)

* From a Seam application developers perspective:

Pros:
1. Kicking off JSF and use the great Wicket component model.

Cons:
1. JSF is well known and has many component libraries, but Wicket is a
new API to learn.

* About WebBeans JSR-299:

I Think it will be the final standard solution for these things,  but
i thought the same about JSF and some years after it, i am moving to
Wicket now. :)

Cheers,
Frank.

--