Thanks for the suggestion (to hit the Java Books, further), Per.  I'm sure
that is sage advice.

However, just to clarify...
-  I am aware that RadioChoice *is* a different Type than String
   -  my question: how is a RadioChoice value converted back and forth with
a String?
-  It appears (to me) that RadioChoice is a Wicket Class (hence my question
to Wicket Forum)

Regarding Learning Path...
I am accustomed to jumping around when learning and when I came across
Wicket, it appeared to be a superior way to incorporate Java in a web
environment.  Thus, I have not studied any of the Swing stuff that most of
the books contain.  IMHO, I think Wicket would be an outstanding paradigm
from which to *teach* Java.  After all, the web is a very probable
deployment platform for new Java projects.  If Wicket *is* the *way*, I
think there is a huge opportunity to train and indoctrinate new Java
programmers, using Wicket from the get-go.  For me, what has been confusing
has been distinguishing where Wicket is deviating from standard Java.  I
sense that it could all come together quite nicely (for a java newbie), if
beginner 'Java, the Wicket Way' resources were available.

Thanks - Scott