> In the process, it looks like I will be familiarizing myself with the Swing
> library -- which, will probably enhance my appreciation (and understanding)
> of Wicket.

Getting familiar with Swing will almost certainly help you get Wicket.
Just keep in mind that with Swing, you would update values by
'pushing' them (for which you'd typically make heave use of the
observer pattern, e.g. using PropertyChangeListeners etc), whereas
with Wicket you would rely on the request cycle doing it for you (we
often call that 'pull' and it is in fact an example of Inversion of
Control, since you let your model objects being updated by the
framework rather than pushing out changes to the framework yourself).

Eelco