Regardless, at the very least this makes your site look "weird" and
unprofessional when google puts a jsessionid on your url.  There has got to
be some negative effect when google visits it the second time and the
jsessionid has changed but it sees the same exact content.  Worst case,
it'll think you're trying to trick it.

About those 404s, I'm finding that with the fix I provided I don't get a
404, but the links refresh the page I'm already on.  IE: If I'm on A, and a
link to B is non-bookmarkable, clicking B refreshes A.

This issue is very disconcerting to me.  It's one of the reasons I wish that
DataView had an option to work in stateless mode.  Cause if I ban cookies
and Googlebot visits my home page (with a navigator on it), it'll try to
follow all these page links and from its perspective, they all lead back to
the first page.  So it's kinda a catch-22: Include the jsessionid in the
urls and get bad SEO or remove the jsessionid and get bad SEO :(

Perhaps the answer to my prayers is a combination of the noindex/nofollow
meta tag with a sitemap.xml.  I'm thinking I can put a nofollow on the home
page (so googlebot doesn't try to follow the navigator links) and use the
sitemap.xml to point out the individual pages I want it to index.

Matej: can you go into more detail about your hybrid URL statement?  Won't
google index, for example, /home and /home.1 if I use it?  When it follows
the next page, won't the url become /home.1.2 or something?  That .2 is a
page version: If google indexes that and tries to visit it again, won't it
report about an invalid session?