Doug,

Take a look at Component's setRenderBodyOnly method if you sometimes need to
render a link as plain text based on some condition (thanks Nilklas). This
combined with Igor's tip could be one possible solution to the requirements
you have mentioned, so far.
On the  http://jweekend.com/dev/LWUGReg/ London Wicket Event registration
page  we use something like this to show registrants' names as links only if
they have entered a URL.

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.co.uk http://jWeekend.co.uk